75. Restoration of Medals
- Under the powers conveyed by Article 1240 of the Pay Warrant as amended by A.O. 298 of 1920 and the degradation clauses of the Royal Warrants governing the D.C.M., M.M., and M.S.M, the Army Council have decided that all D.C.Ms., M.Ms. and M.S.Ms. and war medals which, subsequent to 4th August, 1914, have been forfeited by a soldier under Article 1236 of the Pay Warrant as it stood before the present amendments were effected, shall be restored, except in those cases where the punishment of death by sentence of court martial or discharge under King’s Regulations, para. 392 (x) (on conviction by the Civil Power), (xi) (for misconduct), (xii) (on sentence of penal servitude), or (xiii) (with ignominy), has been carried out.
- Officers i/c records will henceforth only enter on the medal rolls submitted by them that a medal has been forfeited in accordance with the terms of Article 1236 (b) of the Pay Warrant as amended by A.O. 298 of 1920.
- The issue of all medals previously shown on the medal rolls for the Great War as having been forfeited under Article 1236 of the Pay Warrant previous to amendment will, now that they have been restored, be made to officers i/c of records in due course.
- All medals now being retained by officers i/c of records on account of the forfeiture clauses contained in Article 1236 of the Pay Warrant previous to the amendments made by A.O. 298 of 1920 will be issued forthwith, provided that the conviction which occasioned such forfeiture is dated subsequent to 4th August, 1914, and that the soldier concerned was retained in the Army after his conviction.
- In the case of medals to which a gratuity is attached, the gratuity, if not already paid, will be paid on restoration of the medal.
In the case of medals to which a pension is attached, the pension will be restored as from the date of Gazette notifying the restoration of the medal or from the date of this A.C.I. in those cases where the forfeiture was not notified in the London Gazette.
68/Gen. No. /3772 (A.G. 10).