2nd Lieutenant Albert Edward Stringer

Albert Edward (Ned) Stringer was born in Ashton-under-Lyne on January 18, 1878. His father Edward Stringer J.P. was headmaster of the Trafalgar Square Day School.

2/Lt Albert Edward Stringer

His father died in 1900 and in 1901 he was living with his mother Ann Stringer and his sisters Bertha and Janet and his younger brother John James. All of his siblings were teachers, his brother being a pupil / teacher. His oldest sister, Elizabeth Ann (Stringer) was married to Ralph Lees and living in Ashton-under-Lyne.

He received his B.Sc. from Victoria University (Manchester University) and by 1911 was living with his sister and her husband. Ralph Lees had been commissioned into the 1/9th battalion Manchester Regiment in 1905 and by 1911 was a Captain.

At the outbreak of the War Albert Edward Stringer was Deputy Headmaster at the Municipal Secondary School, Ashton-under-Lyne. He was commissioned into the 1/9th as Second Lieutenant on September 2, 1914 and joined the Battalion at Chesham Fold Camp, Bury. He sailed with them to Egypt in September 1914 serving with them there throughout their training and preparations for action.  He landed with the 1/9th in Gallipoli on May 9, 1915 as a platoon commander in “C” Company.

The following letter from Captain Okell was published in the Ashton Reporter on June 26, 1915:

“It is my painful duty to inform you that NED (Lieutenant STRINGER) was killed in action on the evening of the 7th inst. On that day our Company was ordered to charge the enemy and clear them out of the trenches in front of the firing line. On the left were other troops not belonging to our battalion, who had a similar task to perform. Captain F. HAMER and Lieutenant WADE were to charge one trench, and NED and I the other trench. I was posted a little to the left to give the signal for the advance. I gave it shortly after 7.30, and with a mighty cheer our boys advanced. Immediately the enemy opened a terrific rifle and maxim fire, but NED and I succeeded in reaching the trench. Unfortunately the enemy were able to open an enfilading fire, which made the trench absolutely untenable. We had to retire, but only about four of us succeeded in doing so safely. HAMER and WADE were subjected to cross fire. Captain HAMER fell before he reached the trench. WADE succeeded in capturing the trench, and held it until about 2 o’clock in the morning. I was of the opinion that the trench would be enfiladed as soon as dawn came, and ordered the troops to evacuate the trench. All the battalion was shocked at the terrible news of NED. NED had made himself a favourite with the men, and also with his brother officers. We all send you our deepest sympathy”